One of my favorite things about Des Moines is that there are so many unique things to do. From memorable dining experiences and incredible craft breweries to award-winning arts and cultural attractions, central Iowa has lots of activities to choose from. That also means that there’s no reason to be stumped when it comes time to plan your next date night.
Consider switching up your routine to try something new, create something together or get moving in order to spend quality time with your partner. The next time you’re planning an evening on the town, consider one of these seven date night ideas in Des Moines.
Plan a Game Night
You deserve a date night that makes you feel like a kid again! Des Moines has a number of date night options for indulging your playful side.
Head to downtown Des Moines’ East Village for an evening of throwback fun at Up-Down. This two-story arcade bar has all of your favorite nostalgic arcade games, skeeball lanes, giant Jenga sets and more.
Or spend an evening enjoying yard games in West Des Moines at Smash Park. This indoor venue has lots of tasty options to eat and drink alongside a wide variety of yard games including pickleball, cornhole, shuffleboard, bocce ball, ping pong and more.
- Up-Down Des Moines, 500 E. Locust St., Des Moines, Iowa
2. Smash Park, 6625 Coachlight Drive, West Des Moines, Iowa
Head to the Cinema
In addition to lots of lovely first-run movie theaters, Des Moines is also lucky to have the Fleur Cinema, an independent art house theater that shows films you might not typically find at larger chains. Note: Fleur Cinema is temporarily closed due to the pandemic.
In addition to these indies, they also have special shows for Oscar-nominated pictures each year as well as screenings of cult classics. Round out your date night with one of the Fleur’s next-level desserts or an alcoholic beverage of your choice to sip during the movie.
3. Fleur Cinema, 4545 Fleur Dr., Des Moines, Iowa
What better way to spend an evening than by creating something together? Des Moines has a number of places to indulge your creative side.
While a stroll through the Des Moines Art Center is another great date idea, the city’s contemporary art museum also hosts a wide variety of classes. Consider signing up for a multi-week class to learn a new skill or opt for one of the Art Center’s three-hour Make + Mingle classes.
4. Des Moines Art Center, 4700 Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa
5. The Knotty Nail, 232 5th St., West Des Moines, Iowa
6. AR Workshop, 1631 SW Main St. Suite 104, Ankeny, Iowa
Make a Date to See a Show
Des Moines is full of great places to experience live music and theater! Whether you’re looking for a cozy jazz club like Noce or a venue like Wooly’s to experience your favorite rock group, an evening of live music makes for a great date night.
Note: To visit Noce, a proof of vaccination or negative COVID test is required.
If you’re in the mood to laugh, head to Teehee’s Comedy Club for a bit of standup. And if you happen to be a theater buff, you’re in luck. Des Moines offers a variety of theater options through Des Moines Performing Arts and the Des Moines Playhouse.
7. Noce, 1326 Walnut St., Des Moines, Iowa
8. Wooly’s, 504 E. Locust St., Des Moines, Iowa
9. Teehee’s Comedy Club, 1433 Walnut St., Des Moines, Iowa
10. Des Moines Playhouse, 831 42nd St., Des Moines, Iowa
Plan Your Own Beer Tasting
Des Moines is lucky to have tons of incredible craft breweries. Plan a beer-lovers date night by grabbing beers from several local breweries and setting up your own tasting at home.
Many local breweries offer bottles or growlers to go, or you can swing by the Iowa Taproom to find a variety of brews from around the state. Or plan an evening of brewery hopping around town.
11. Iowa Taproom, 215 E. Third St. #100, Des Moines, Iowa
12. Peace Tree Brewing Co., 317 E. Court Ave., Des Moines, Iowa
13. Exile Brewing Company, 1514 Walnut St., Des Moines, Iowa
14. Lua Brewing, 1525 High St., Des Moines, Iowa
Related post: Discover 10 more fun bars and restaurants in Des Moines
Travel Internationally—Without Leaving Des Moines
Enjoy an evening of international cuisine without leaving Iowa at one of the city’s many amazing eateries. If you’re in the mood for Indian and Nepalese food, check out Kathmandu Restaurant.
Or head to South America with Ecuadorian food from Mi Patria Ecuadorian food or Peruvian delicacies from Panka Peruvian Restaurant. Enjoy a taste of Russia with infused vodkas, pierogies and more at Irina’s Restaurant and Bar. Or experience a German-style beer hall at Hessen Haus in downtown Des Moines.
15. Kathmandu Restaurant, 7229 Apple Valley Drive, Windsor Heights, Iowa
16. Mi Patria, 1410 22nd St., West Des Moines, Iowa
17. Panka Peruvian Restaurant, 2708 Ingersoll Ave., Suite #200, Des Moines, Iowa
18. Irina’s Restaurant and Bar, 2301 Rocklyn Drive, Urbandale, Iowa
19. Hessen Haus, 101 SW 4th St., Des Moines, Iowa
Related post: Looking for a meal to impress your date? Here are the 10 must-try restaurants in Des Moines!
Des Moines is full of beautiful outdoor places perfect for a date. Pack a picnic and head to Gray’s Lake Park or Water Works Park near downtown Des Moines.
If you’d like to stay closer to downtown, take a stroll along the Des Moines Riverwalk or end your evening with a walk around the grounds at the Iowa State Capitol.
If you’re heading further west, the 3.2-mile trail loop at Raccoon River Park is also a great option for a longer walk no matter the season.
20. Gray’s Lake Park, 2101 Fleur Drive, Des Moines, Iowa
21. Water Works Park, 2201 George Flagg Pkwy, Des Moines, Iowa
22. Iowa State Capitol, 1007 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa
23. Raccoon River Park, 2500 Grand Ave., West Des Moines, Iowa
This post was originally published at ohmyomaha.com and is published here with permission.
About the Guest Blogger
Megan Bannister is a freelance writer and blogger at Olio in Iowa based in Des Moines, Iowa. When she’s not sampling and writing about food, Megan enjoys visiting unique destinations, roadside attractions, and “world’s largest” things across the Midwest and beyond. Her book, Iowa Supper Clubs, highlights classic eateries past and present from around the state.